Wisconsin Department of Justice Wellness & Leadership Webinar: Officer Wellness in the 21st Century
Law enforcement professionals serve on the front lines of humanity’s worst-case events, and nearly 70 percent of officers report that stressful work experiences have caused ongoing emotional issues, leading to a wide range of consequences including sleep difficulties, relationship problems, and thoughts of suicide. In 2019, law enforcement officers had a 475 percent greater chance of dying by suicide than by gunfire from another person.
This webinar covers the current state of law enforcement trauma, wellness, and resilience, with an emphasis on proactive, preventative and strategic approaches to first responder wellness. Topics include stress and trauma, suicide risk, confidential access to support resources, quality and availability of resources, law enforcement therapist vetting, peer support training, the role of COVID-19, social unrest, and other high-impact events, generational factors, and future directions for law enforcement wellness.
The materials provided in this webinar are for general informational and educational purposes only. The materials are not intended to be and should not be considered legal advice or opinion. Please seek legal counsel before acting on the topics discussed. The materials are not intended to be and should not be considered a substitute for clinical diagnosis or professional medical advice or opinion. Please consult with your physician, therapist, or other qualified healthcare provider before acting on the topics discussed.
This recording provides QR code hyperlinks to a wide range of resources. These links include:
- CDC What Law Enforcement Needs to Know About COVID-19
- Lexipol Free COVID-19 Policies, Courses, and Training Tools
- Lancet: Psychological Impact of Quarantine and How to Reduce It: Rapid Review of the Evidence
- First Responders, COVID-19 and Stress: Tips for Finding Peace
- Supporting Your First Responder Family’s Mental Wellness During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Family Support: Virtual Field Trips
- IACP: Nutritional Needs
- IACP: The Effects of Sleep Deprivation
- California Police Chiefs Association Magazine Officer Wellness Issue
- Building Support: Why Peer Support Teams are at the Heart of a Healthy Agency
- The Asher Model: 7-Point Approach to a Culture of Wellness
- Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement
- Increasing Resilience in Police and Emergency Personnel
- Good Cop, Good Cop | Police Officer Stress & Mental Health
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Mindful Responder